Thursday 5 July 2018

Once Upon a Sock: July


So yes, I've been away.  I went to Woollinn, create a video blog for it, then spent over a month trying to edit it.  (I've still not finished). 

Last weekend we came back from Germany.  (I'll write about that separately).  I had a mad panic beforehand about taking only one knitting project with me.  In the end, I didn't finish the socks I'd taken with me, let alone did anything with the yarn I took for the second-project-shawl.  Oh well. 

The sock had a mistake in it (I knitted when I should have purled - or the other way round), so I had to tink back several rows.  It wasn't my top priority on holiday! The mistake is now rectified, and this is the current state of progress:

Socks - vanilla socks
Yarn - Something by Opal
These were the ones I was working in a couple of months ago.  I was going to do an orange heel, but instead I did a Fish Lips Kiss Heel.  I love the fish lips kiss heel to knit, but find that the short row heel doesn't work for my feet so well, so I've done ribs on the top to make it easier to put on.
To make the socks look right from the front, I just re-attached the colour at the right stage of the rainbow:

The sock heel
The bit where the yarn is re-joined, looks slightly odd from the front - but actually fine from the side.  I'm sure it'll all look better when it's washed, blocked and worn. 


I wanted to do more of this this week, but I've been hit with a cold and flu - so it's been going more slowly than I would like, as I don't want to make another mistake.  They're going to be ankle socks, partly because it won't fit if the legs are too long, and partly because I need the needles free for a new pair to be cast-on in time for me flying to the USA on Tuesday. 

There's a group of us, who blog about socks on the first Thursday of the month.  I think I'm just going to make it....  Links to Paula's blog is here who has the full explanation - and the link-up page is here


3 comments:

  1. Great job on the stripes with those socks! I've been thinking about what I should do with mine but I think I may just keep on knitting. So sorry to hear you are sick :( I'm sending good thoughts and wishes for a full recovery soon. It's horrible flying sick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed about a short row heel - the heel cups are too shallow for people like me with high insteps and pointy heels. I’ve found that increasing 4-6 sts across the sole before starting the FLK heel improves the fit for me dramatically. Fun yarn!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great colorway. Does a FLK heel feel like an afterthought heel?

    ReplyDelete

Happy 2020

This blog seems somewhat neglected, but I promise I've not forgotten it.  Both life and knitting have happened, and plans are being made...