Tuesday 13 February 2018

Blisters



0300 on 6th February.  Insomnia. 

I think I've been knitting so much this last week, that I've managed to give myself a blister on my middle finger.  That hasn't stopped me in the least.


Current socks - Opal Funny with Silver in colourway Droll

I currently have two pairs of socks on the needles; one was cast on a couple of days ago, the others are waiting for a heel turn.  There was a third pair, but they were too loose, so have been frogged.  The purple and green pair have already been frogged once, and when I realised that 64 stitches was too many, one of them got frogged a second time.  My logic is, that if I knit a lot of socks now whilst I've got time, I'll be well underway for twelve socks by the end of the year.  In all honesty, I'm longing for some lace!


Other current socks - Opal Mein Sockendesign in colourway Over the Rainbow
Since I've had so much time at home, I've been watching random videos on Youtube - some more random than others.  I think I've bored Mr Knitty slightly with the amount of blooper reels I've played for him.  However, I'm having a lot of fun with the knitting tutorials.  At the moment, I'm trying to educate myself on different ways of doing short row heels. 


On the left - what happens if you don't follow instructions
On the right - what happens when you do! 
I've also been swatching for a sock yarn scrap blanket.  I've not quite got enough spare sock yarn to get going, but I've got enough to think about it.  I'm going to have to duplicate some colours, but I want them as far apart from each other as possible. 

A proper mitred square - 50 stitches
The two free patterns I've found on Ravelry are the Knitted Patchwork recipe by Martine Ellis and Memory Blanket by Georgie Nicholson.  Between the two of them, I'll work something out.  I've decided that I want each square to start with 60 stitches; the next step is to knit a square of that size to work out how much each one weighs.


Indy yarn dyer - colourway Bonfire
I've also invested in a yarn swift and ball winder.  Now I know how to use them properly, I'm smitten - as is Mr Knitty.  He even asked what I would do if I came home, and found that all my skeins had been turned into balls.  Hey, if I can't get him knitting, at least I can get him involved in the gadget side of things!  The above is the first ball that was wound from a skein, and I can't wait to turn it into something luscious.  I think it actually looks better in a ball than it did in a skein. 

And finally, because I'm a bit bored of photos of yarn, have a photo of me looking slightly vampiric at The London Transport Museum ten days ago:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy 2020

This blog seems somewhat neglected, but I promise I've not forgotten it.  Both life and knitting have happened, and plans are being made...